We want to welcome you to using Cake Wallet! We hope you have a wonderful experience. If you have any questions, please reach out to our support! :D
You first need the Cake Wallet official application.
- Apple App Store (iPhone, MacOS): https://cakewallet.com/ios
- Google Play: https://cakewallet.com/gp
- F-Droid: https://fdroid.cakelabs.com
- Android APK: https://cakewallet.com/apk
- Linux: https://github.com/cake-tech/cake_wallet/releases
Open the wallet application. You will see the option to create your first wallet. Choose only one cryptocurrency type; you can choose additional ones later (see Create another wallet).
You can choose a manual wallet name, or you can click the right icon to generate a random name. This can’t be changed later.
You will be asked to set an access PIN. This stays on your device. You can choose a 4 digit PIN by default, or you can click the text to change to a 6 digit PIN. You can enable biometric authentication later in settings. For Linux, you need to create a password.
It is absolutely imperative that you save your seed in a safe place! The most common user error is forgetting to write down the seed, resulting in a loss of funds.
You need to save the seed in a safe place. The definition of “safe” depends on your use-case, but it looks like this for most users:
- Put one written copy in a home safe, and another copy in a bank safety deposit box.
- Store the seed in a password manager with a strong password.
If you need to upgrade to a higher security setup later, you can create a new wallet, back up the seed with a high degree of security, and then send your funds to the new wallet.